This proposal is based on the emission reduction commitment (known as an INDC) made by India prior to the 2015 UN Climate talks.
This seed proposal is based on the emission reduction commitment submitted by India in advance of the UNFCCC's 2015 climate negotiations. It was created by a Climate CoLab Fellow. We invite other CoLab members to link to this proposal or to use it as a starting point for creating new proposals of their own. The government of India has not reviewed or endorsed this proposal.
As part of the climate negotiations conducted each year under the auspices of the United National Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), countries submit Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) that outline pledges for future reductions in their national greenhouse gas emissions.
In its INDC India has pledged to reduce the carbon intensity of its GDP 33-35% in 2030, below 2005 levels. This would represent a fourfold increase in India´s GHG emissions since 2005 from 1,4 GtCO2e in 2005, to 5,6 -5,83 GtCO2e in 2030.
Policy instruments to achieve its target will include the following measures:
- Increase of energy efficiency in buildings, transportation and industry, through building codes, promotion of public transportation, green labels and standards.
- 40% non-carbon installed electric power capacity: the respective contribution of renewable and nuclear energies is not specified.
- Fuel switching in vehicles: fostering hybrid and electric technologies in vehicles.
- Increased sink from the land sector. It will make an Additional 2,5-3 GtCO2e reduction.
- An increased carbon tax. A cap-and-trade like scheme for energy intensity affecting industrial and power generation facilities.
Which proposals are included in your plan and how do they fit together?
Explanation of the emissions scenario calculated in the Impact tab
What are the plan’s key benefits?
What are the plan’s costs?
What are the key challenges to enacting this plan?
The full INDC for India can be found here: http://www4.unfccc.int/submissions/INDC/Published%20Documents/India/1/INDIA%20INDC%20TO%20UNFCCC.pdf