Climate Change Pioneers by Golden Youth Club
Enhance the adaptive capacity of the targeted group by incorporating activities such a reducing land-based pollution into coastal ecosystem
Climate change is one of the most pressing issues in South Africa. The impacts of climate variability and extreme events (cyclones, floods, droughts, sea level rise, and other natural disasters) are rapidly pushing people beyond their coping range. The already strained economies are being drained trying to keep up with the impacts of these changes on livelihoods. The variant of plants and animals are severely impacted, most of dry lands are vulnerable to climate change and our homestead farmers are affected. During summer and winter rainfalls the maize production, cereal and fruits production are badly affected and that affects our economy.
Category of action
Youth Leadership on Climate Change
What actions do you propose?
§ Conduct awareness campaigns in schools specializing with implementation of traditional media through theater, dance, music and poetry spread climate change messages in a familiar context on waste (solid and liquid) management and/or sustainable land use and/or disaster preparedness in the piloted communities.
§ Develop and implement practical low-cost measures in reducing land-based pollution into coastal ecosystems (e.g. make a debates in schools to promote the building of compost toilets, competition in schools about waste recycling, make a public campaigns against burning of fossil fuel such as coal, gas formed the geological from remains of the living organism and chopping down of our forest)
§ Day 1- introduction, Ice breaks & Workshop about causes, consequences & Solutions to climate change. (We give the youth a platform to share their knowledge about climate then they watch devastating videos of resulting floods, droughts and fires caused by Climate Change all over the world.
§ Day 2-Children/ Youth create beautiful art work with waste material
§ Day 3- Township planting and gardening, the learners will travel to township school where they will partake in tree pets” with the young people from the township schools. They will plant trees and personalize it by giving it a shared name between an urban leaner and township leaner. During the planting they will share their personal and cultural background. The aim is to promote cultural exchange program and ongoing partnership amongst the youth. The township learners will take care the tree and update the urban learners.
§ Day 4-We do Quiz activities, which is testing their knowledge about what they have learn during the climate change program.
§ Day 5-GYC Climate Change Pioneers present a theatre play performance for the youth that show how humans contribute in polluting the earth and the solutions for preventing climate change
Training the trainees and participation overview (Phase 2)
- Leadership training will provided to the teachers, learners who play leadership role in schools and community leaders who will be facilitating workshops for train the trainees project about climate change theater and the they will also direct the theater play in conjunction with Climate Change Pioneers.
- All the participate will be involve in research, interviewing affected people, organizing and inviting relevant stakeholders to the workshop, campaign and theatres shows.
- Training manual will be provided for train the trainees program.
Award ceremony (Phase 3)
· The entire participant will be acknowledge with certificates and will graduate as Climate Change Pioneers by receiving the badges. The prefects of one of the school that participated in our Climate change pioneers program are wearing censors’ refractors to symbolize them as leaders of the school; we have developed Climate Change Pioneers in that primary school. We recognized acknowledging our entire participant with CCP badges it will be highly appreciated by those learners. This will not only symbolized them as Climate Change Pioneers but leaders of the school and community at large.
· The participant will perform theater play about climate change to the parents and different stakeholders who will be attending the awards ceremony.
· The will be an exhibition from the artwork innovated by participant from waste materials.
Who will take these actions?
Climate change affects almost all aspects of daily life in Worldwide. Your support will be a continuation of the journey to create enabling environment. Climate change is decease only through collectives effort we can defeat its brutal impact in our earth.
Climate Reality Project- has empowered our climate change pioneers how to run workshop and lobby for climate issues.
Department of educatio granted us the permission to operate in school because if you want to save the nation empower the child.
local business support our local campaigns and become in partnership to give awareness to our local communities.
Organizations like sustainability Tourism, Generation Earth, Climate Reality Project, city of Tshwane they engage our youth on their programme to be more developed
What are other key benefits?
- Environmental benefits- by reducing carbon dioxide, dust and other potentially harm gasses in the air; our air quality is improved through lower levels of ozone, carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide
- Social and personal benefits- Most of us respond to the presence of trees beyond simply observing their beauty. We feel serene, peaceful, restful and tranquil in a grove of trees. We are "at home" there.
- Youth in school – its a relaxing effect on students studying for exams
- Communities at large- gaining a better understanding how climate change can impact the socio-ecological.
- Economy Benefits- when we leave under clean environment, well informed and educated community these will enhance community economic stability by attracting businesses and tourists.
What are the proposal’s costs?
Training and Implementation (Phase 1)
- Five days Workshop
Climate Change Pioneers (4) Facilitating 50 participant
- Transport allowance
- Facilitation Fee
R70 X 4X 5day= R1400.00
R100 X4 X 5Days= R2000.00
R250 X 4 X 5Days=
Train the Trainees (Phase 2
- 1 week workshop
(2 facilitators x 15 participant which can include teachers and leaners)
- Training manuals
R300 X 2 X 5Days=
R200.00 X 15= R3000.00
R100 X 2 X 5Days=
Theatre Play rehearsal
(Drama, dance and music)
40 participants/ Leaners.
- Training rehearsals
R200 x 15 X 5Days=
R70 X15 X 5days=
R100 X 15 X 5days=
Awards Ceremony (Phase 3
15 XGYC CCPioneers
- Sound stage & Microphones
- Filming and Editing
- Certificates and CCPioneers Badges
R120 X15 X 1Day=
R70.00 X 105 participant = R7350.00
Overall project budget
To replicate the COP17 | CMP7 - South Africa on Climate Change with adaptation approach to our local communities which means to contribute is safeguarding bio-cultural diversity, social and ecosystem resilience
1.1 plan the project
- Recruiting procedures of participants
- Select the township school for tree planting exchange program
- Brainstorm the ideas and set it up with the teachers.
- Submit the plan of action, the budget the proposal to the school
- Logistical arrangements for workshop
1.2 Developing the group
- Workshop the leaners and implement the activities with leaners about climate change
- Gardening and planting will be conducted in need community schools
- Artwork will be created out of waste material
- Quiz activities for testing their knowledge after workshop
- Documentation of all activities through hard copies, video, photographs and newsletter.
To enhance the adaptive capacity of the targeted group and areas by incorporating activities such a reducing land-based pollution into coastal ecosystems and water resources and disaster preparedness
Follow up activities for sustainability
- Train the trainee program will be conducted
- Audition and rehearsals for Climate drama.
- Waste artwork will be created for exhibition
- Collect resource materials for workshops and Awards Ceremony
To evaluate the sustainability of climate change adaptation projects in initial group where the project will be implemented
Rewards of hard work for the love of the planet.
§ Ensure all participant including relevant teachers are awarded with CCPioneers badges and certificates of acknowledgement
§ Leaners and CCPioneers will perform Climate theatre play for Parents, Guest and Leaners.
§ File the reports and Video DVD will send to the school management.
§ To replicate the COP17 | CMP7 - South Africa on Climate Change with adaptation approach to our local communities which means to contribute is safeguarding bio-cultural diversity, social and ecosystem resilience
§ To enhance the adaptive capacity of the targeted group and areas by incorporating activities such a reducing land-based pollution into coastal ecosystems and water resources and disaster preparedness.
§ To evaluate the sustainability of climate change adaptation projects in initial group where the project will be implemented.