Cool roofs are a proven solution to the 'heat island' effects, as well as a solution to discomfort and high AC use.
A cool roof is one that has been designed to reflect more sunlight and absorb less heat than a standard roof. Cool roofs can be made of a highly reflective type of paint, a sheet covering, or highly reflective tiles or shingles. Nearly any type of building can benefit from a cool roof, but consider the climate and other factors before deciding to install one.
Just as wearing light-colored clothing can help keep you cool on a sunny day, cool roofs use solar-reflective surfaces to maintain lower roof temperatures. Standard or dark roofs can reach temperatures of 150°F or more in the summer sun. A cool roof under the same conditions could stay more than 50°F cooler.
Benefits of Cool Roofs
A cool roof can benefit a building and its occupants by:
- Reducing energy bills by decreasing air conditioning needs
- Improving indoor comfort for spaces that are not air conditioned
- Decreasing roof temperature, which may extend roof service life.
Beyond the building itself, cool roofs can also benefit the environment, especially when many buildings in a community have them. Cool roofs can:
- Reduce local air temperatures (sometimes referred to as the urban heat island effect)
- Lower peak electricity demand, which can help prevent power outages
- Reduce power plant emissions, including carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, nitrous oxides, and mercury, by reducing cooling energy use in buildings.
Category of the action
Who will take these actions?
Subsidies would help make these coatings available to homeowners on pre-existing homes, as in solar panel system rebates.
In L.A. there are statutes requiring new homes to be provided with such roofs. Elsewhere, why not?
What are other key benefits?
They are listed above
What are the proposal’s costs?
A cool roof coating usually requires an outlay of a few thousand dollars. However, the roofs last longer and energy savings defray that cost.
1 year: Flyers sent to all home owners announcing
a. Rebates announced
b. Tax incentives announced
c. Benefits of cool roofs
a. larger workforce trained
b. growth in companies capable of applying coatings/ reflective roofs
c. Proposition launched for a vote requiring new home to carry such roofs. Tax breaks offered for compliance/fines for non-compliance.
a. coating technology full accepted
b. increasing percentage of homes cooled by cool roof coatings.