The USA will benefit greatly from high-speed rail network linking its major urban areas, reducing carbon emissions and improving efficiency.
Category of the action
Reducing emissions from transportation
What actions do you propose?
- build high-speed railway system
- change the image of train transportation --> make it enjoyable and 'cool' to ride the train
- focus manufacturing in the US to create jobs
-get Congressional support (both vocal and monetary) for implementation
Who will take these actions?
- government needs to change policy to support development
-primary engine and train car manufacturers
-project engineering companies to develop rail network
-encourage new companies to enter bids for contracts
-local communities need to be included in discussions
Where will these actions be taken?
How much will emissions be reduced or sequestered vs. business as usual levels?
- will have to run simulations
What are other key benefits?
-create new jobs for manufacturing and construction of trains
-decrease stress in travel
-reduce dependence on fossil fuels
-economic development around area of train stations