Since there are no currently active contests, we have switched Climate CoLab to read-only mode.
Learn more at https://climatecolab.org/page/readonly.
Skip navigation

Community Discussions

Does the money prize discourage collaboration? I think so.

3comments
Share conversation: Share via:

Guy Beaumont

Apr 29, 2014
04:00

1 |
Share via:
I think there should not be one winner but that there should be ranks, like in tennis, so the projects could move up and down the list. We're all winners, so why should we designate only one participant to have the best project? I think it detours the attention from our goal to collaborate and devalues many other ideas, less well defined (nor understood) which would gain to be much more developped with the help of feedbacks from the CoLab community. I think the one winner & top 5 approach is ordinary. Let's say it involves 5 people by team, so 30 persons are acting up on very good projects in hand. What are the other actual 11,267 Climate CoLab members doing? Do they sit and watch the top 30 do, as they would watch hockey games & comment on the radio occasionally? I think a collaborative platform should involve everyone's participation. Do participants really count on winning the money prize? If they do, will they be interested in contributing to improve other participants' projects? Yes? Great attitude, but I would not count on that either. Maybe I'm already am at the next step, but do you see it as a global collaboration project or just as 6 promising projects with very good players giving example to the others?

Rob Laubacher

Apr 30, 2014
02:01

Staff

2 |
Share via:
Hi Guy, You raise several quite interesting points--these are issues we've thought about a lot in the Climate CoLab team. It's very challenging to design a system that attempts to motivate participation by acknowledging the best work while also encouraging collaboration. You may be interested in a forthcoming feature of the Climate CoLab, which we hope to announce very soon, that seeks to accomplish some of these goals. We're planning to roll out a new global contest that invites members to integrate other Climate CoLab proposals, from multiple contests, into a coherent vision of what the world as a whole should do. As part of this, we also plan to institute a scheme for assigning credit (in the form of a point scheme) to all the proposals included in the top global proposals. So be on the lookout for our upcoming announcements on this. Also, your idea of a ranking, as in tennis, is quite interesting--I will mention it to our team. Thanks for your interest in the Climate CoLab and for your intriguing comment. Best, Rob Laubacher For the Climate Colab team

Guy Beaumont

Apr 30, 2014
03:11

3 |
Share via:
Hi Rob, Thanks for responding, I'm glad to know my comment caught your attention, I hope my proposal will intrigue you as well. I'll be on the lookout for your upcoming announcements & to learn how the Climate CoLab works out. Best, Guy