Since there are no currently active contests, we have switched Climate CoLab to read-only mode.
Learn more at https://climatecolab.org/page/readonly.
Skip navigation

Community Discussions

If you could offer future proposal authors one piece of advice, what would it be?

16comments
Share conversation: Share via:

Laur Hesse Fisher

Jun 23, 2013
08:39

Staff

1 |
Share via:
You made it – you gathered all your notes together, poured yourself a big pot of coffee, spent seemingly unending hours at your computer screen… and got your proposal in before the 11:59:59 PM EDT deadline. Congratulations!! We’re very proud of you!! In November we’re going to be starting our next round of contests and there will be a new set of authors ready to contribute their ideas. So, while it’s still fresh in your memory, we want to know: If you could offer future proposal authors one piece of advice, what would it be?

Pia Jensen

Jun 23, 2013
08:23

2 |
Share via:
Awesome... Remember, you are not alone. We can work together with respect and collaborative efforts to design a better (more effective, egalitarian, secure) future path. We learn from others, I only know what I know because someone else knew it before me. And, each time that knowledge passes from one to another, it may transform into something more viable in the moment. Always honor your sources. Use resources at hand - cull all pertinent research, it may broaden and improve your proposal. Note all of your research sources. Check the contest your proposal resides in to see if someone else has something similar, perhaps you can work together. Technically... well, Laur has my considerations and I won't bother airing them here, but, perhaps the submissions process may be made more accountable. This has been a great experience. I learned a lot. Thank you.

Charles Duemler

Jun 24, 2013
09:28

3 |
Share via:
Do something else. Fall in love, be happy, forget and do not think about the environment or what's happening, it's too depressing. After learning about it in the 80's, studying it in detail in the 90's and coming up with a solution around year 2000. All I've gotten is a few thanks from scientists for coming up with the idea but no help whatsoever. Besides that it's been attacks from the right for even talking about "global warming" (yelling right in my face insinuations that they'll beat the crap out of me if I continue talking about it), attacks from the left for talking about geoengineering (just got yelled at the other day by the guy in charge of CCL - eugene area for stating facts, then the guy totally ignores me and talks to a girl next to him), then in the geoengineering field I have to be able to defend my ideas from scientists who have no time to spend on my idea having thousands of people trying to run their ideas by them because anybody in the cutting edge of the field is busy working on something. Then they suppose things and ask stupid questions again and again enough to drive you crazy! At the end of the day you'll get no help and have to listen to the news about how 25,000 children a day or more are dying of starvation, then you add it up and over a billion will have died since you came up with a solution for starvation. As a response to people dying the most horrible death you see the people in charge laugh about global warming calling it a hoax, making a list of people involved calling them conspirators, as if Al Gore conspiring with farmers about corn ethanol to enrich themselves cancels out global warming, and stating that if thou doesn't work that thou shall not eat(as if one can rely on statements from people faced with torture for the rest of their life). Run I say, run from this field, run far and fast, fall in love, drink a lot and try to forget everything you've learned about this field.

James Greyson

Jun 27, 2013
11:48

4 |
Share via:
Hi Charles, I empathise with your struggle, which is felt by many in the green movement. Fortunately you've been very active in the CoLab so thanks for not taking your own advice ;-) If and when effective solutions are implemented for the climate it will be due to people like you who innovate and collaborate. I don't know about your proposal but kudos to everyone with fresh thinking and a collaborative spirit! James

Patrick Mcnulty

Jun 27, 2013
01:29

5 |
Share via:
Make sure your idea targets all contest categories like mine does...

Mik Aidt

Jun 27, 2013
02:07

6 |
Share via:
@lfisher - Will the next round also be about climate change - or another topic? Maybe that should be clarified?) Climate change is a complex global problem because it is rooted both in the whole way western civilisation's infrastructure is built, and at the same time also in individual consumers and citizens’ choices and action / lack of action. So if you want to tackle the problem with rising CO2-levels, you need to be able to think very personal up-close and local and the same time as you need to think big - even bigger than big! Unless we learn how to do that, combine the close-up LOCAL with the unimaginably huge and multi-languaged, multi-cultured GLOBAL, we won't be able to solve this problem before it is much too late. For instance, smart technological carbon-reducing inventions are great, but unless you manage to also make them relevant to the individual, they won't solve the problem at such a scale which is needed now.

L M

Jul 11, 2013
07:52

7 |
Share via:
I've had a great experience with Climate CoLab with quick responses from both fellows and judges. Although I'm sure some contests are slower than others owing to the time constraints of the judges. I would echo pj's comments about reaching out for collaboration with fellow CoLab members. Additional advice: research, research and then more research. Especially similar projects in your field. It does not distract from your idea if others have done something similar, and we should all seek to learn lessons from past endeavours: both the successes and the failures. Good luck everyone!

Pia Jensen

Jul 11, 2013
01:09

8 |
Share via:
It would be great to see more people with strong background become volunteers as fellows/experts/advisers/judges! With so many proposals to read, it must be very difficult for a mostly volunteer organization to keep up with everyone. I posted a possible solution/idea for what may lead to a more positive and effective feedback scenario for future contests (just one idea...) in Report bugs and request features - https://www.climatecolab.org/web/guest/discussion#discussion%3DpageType%3ATHREAD%2CthreadId%3A5602

Jack Harich

Oct 13, 2013
06:42

9 |
Share via:
"If you could offer future proposal authors one piece of advice, what would it be?" To find and resolve the root causes of the climate change problem. Present proposals appear to be superficial solutions that attempt, in vain, to resolve intermediate causes rather than root causes. For example, C-ROADS is the core model in Climate CoLab. This model largely determines the paradigm people are using to solve the climate change problem, such as by "proposals outlining what they think should be done about climate change." However the C-ROADS model deals only with the technical (ecological) side of the problem. It excludes the social (people) side of the problem. Thus the model doesn't deal with the change resistance side of the problem, which is the crux. Those seriously interested in exploring this point may read these two papers: 1. Change Resistance as the Crux of the Environmental Sustainability Problem, at http://www.thwink.org/sustain/articles/009/ChangeResistanceAsCrux.htm 2. Endogeneity Considered Harmful, at http://www.thwink.org/sustain/publications/papers/index.htm#Endogeneity The second paper contains this extract, which applies to C-ROADS, the climate change problem, and Climate CoLab's mission "to address global climate change": "Consider the model without the change resistance subsystem in Figure 2 and the integrated world models it emulates. It is not enough to say to a decision maker “Here, run this integrated world model with this interactive user interface. It will show you how different policies play out. Spend some time at the wheel and pick those policy mixes that work best for you. Then go out and promote and implement them.” That is inadequate because the model is incomplete. The model boundary excludes the policy resistance portion of the problem, so the decision maker cannot realistically tell how the world’s social-ecological system will respond. In the sustainability problem they would be sailing into disaster, because to our knowledge none of the solutions simulated by current integrated world models deal with overcoming change resistance at the root cause level. Instead, they whack away at the IPAT factors." I apologize for the complexity of this post, but this is a complex problem and needs to be dealt with in a complex manner. Past proposals are a bit too simple to significantly "address global climate change." What's needed is a commitment to first finding the root causes of the problem. Then solutions that resolve the root causes may be far more easily found. Love what you're trying to do. Hope this helps.

Nina (wikstrom) Aguilar

Jan 23, 2014
01:54

10 |
Share via:
This is my very first hour spent on this site, and it is sad that acrimony is here already. I am excited by the possibilities of this site!!

Angelica Bache

Mar 18, 2014
06:03

11 |
Share via:
Contribute with something that make sense and give what people are interested with.

Tom Morris

May 14, 2014
12:18

12 |
Share via:
1. Research: Critique your own ideas and find possible faults, address them in your proposal. 2. Comments: When your proposals are challenged in some way evaluate the input and if the critiscism is valid reshape your proposal. be willing to even totally drop an idea if it is proven to be unworkable. You may not have considered all factors , that why this is a collaborative site so we can help each other improve proposals and that includes abandoning ideas that won't work or have minimal impact. set your ego aside. 3. forget the $$ prize. are you really interested in solving problems or are you set on your solution "winning" or do you have delusions of becoming rich through your idea? If so you need to be at the patent office and not broadcasting your plans here. 4. base your proposals on real science if they are technical proposals. Extroadinary claims of perpetual motion machines or "energy multipliers" require extroadinary proof and belong more in the realm of sci-fi than on a board that is supposedly trying to find real solutions. 5. if your virtual toes get stepped on here, so what? react with facts and data to back your proposals rather than becoming emotionally defensive. Please review my proposals and feel free to critique; I know i can improve on some admittedly half formed ideas. :)

Claudia Gossow

May 20, 2014
01:20

13 |
Share via:
Thank you to all those who added their advice and suggestions here, it helped me improve on my proposal writing skills and what to look out for when I write. So far I have had a great experience with the Co-Lab.

Captain D

Jun 7, 2014
08:36

14 |
Share via:
1. I'd suggest Climatecolab offer more categories and base them upon the required funding, so that far more people can get involved! 2. Also anyone associated with MIT should not be able to "win" because that is a conflict of interest! 3. I suggest that everyone that enters also buy a lottery ticket because then at least everyone has a chance of funding their pet project whether they get selected or not! Good Luck

Charley Quinton

Jun 28, 2014
02:07

15 |
Share via:
@MIT is this "real"? How much time will i spend on this site hoping to change the world before it goes into the Internet Archives? The world will pass away but the Internet Archives are here to stay! WiserEarth,org - CotW.cc - 350.org .. fade.. fade.. f.a.d.e... It's great work but it's difficult to find sponsors! I'd like to thank my sister for letting me borrow her computer. Hiya @blindspotter. Good to see you here.

James Greyson

Jun 28, 2014
03:01

16 |
Share via:
Hi Charley, great to see you too! I hope you have a chance to add your ideas as a new proposal. This may help attract attention, collaborators and sponsors? Yes the Climate CoLab is a real project :-) More here, https://www.climatecolab.org/web/guest/about James