Green E-Delivery In Jordan by BTM
A mobile app that connects freelancers who owns electrical or hybrid vehicles with businesses that require a fleet to deliver their goods.
Blink Ultimate Delivery is a mobile application that connects freelancers who owns vehicles with businesses that require a fleet to deliver their goods.
Blink App aims to reduce the stress that is an overhead to these businesses when they do have their internal operations. as by using this free of charge app on any mobile they will be able to operate and report for any issues with a full monthly analysis to improve their businesses. on the other hand, freelancers will be able to work on their convenient time. as a part of generating income on their way to work/university or as a full time.
By reducing travel distance and thus carbon emissions that is being generated from the traditional transportation system. As well as, generating more income for these individual especially for a high poverty level country. Moreover, electrical vehicles are not being used in the delivery yet. Therefore, introducing the electrical cars will not only create a better income, as it will shift freelancers to own their own electrical vehicles to become a part of the fleet as well as motivating others in different sectors to take this step.
Jordan’s transportation sector is dominated by road transportation since there are no rail networks and marine transportation is negligible due to the geographical location of the country.
Transport contributes to about 39% of overall energy use (passenger cars accounting for around 57% of this) and to a large share of air emissions (estimated by World Bank’s Country Environmental Assessment at 80% for NOx; 20% for SOx, and 40% for TSP).
When it comes to emissions, Jordanian quality standards for fuel and exhaust emissions do exist but with limited monitoring and enforcement.
CO2 emissions will grow at an average rate of 3% during the period 2006-2040. And will reach 20.7 M tons in 2040 compared to 8 M tons and 10.7 M tons in 2013 and 2020 prospectively. This is mostly due to the expected increase in the transportation service fleet.
Is this proposal for a practice or a project?
What actions do you propose?
In Jordan more than 1.6 million vehicles are traveling inside Amman with a very low percentage of electrical cars. also, the most common electrical cars are Nissan Leaf or Tesla, with very few gas stations in west Amman that is able to provide these electrical cars with the electricity.
Introducing the first electrical vehicle from any brand that will only work within the delivery sector. As this vehicle will have stickers that shows the importance of green energy and how it helps reducing the emissions. Also, it will help others to understand that there are many electrical cars are available in the market. other businesses in the delivery industry are taking this action to help the people to change.
Posting on social media platform the new vehicle with the proposed green concept will reach more individual to acknowledge that a new electrical delivery came into the town.
Introducing this new delivery system with the electrical cars will force and motivate other companies to purchase and transfer into green electrical vehicles. Caused by the reduce that will be gained by the government policies. As the Jordanian government support these types of vehicles with a very low customs charges. On the other hand, the savings made by these companies will be transferred into other categories that will help them with their expenses or profits.
Businesses are already using Blink App to deliver goods with a high demand to a large volume of customers, and most often freelancers are being asked to deliver multiple orders for multiple places. With Blink App, freelancers are being managed to shorten the travel distance in order to decrease the amount of fuel spent. As a result, it will make them save more money. On the other hand, once the gas stations start feeling that the electric vehicles are within the area and businesses and individuals are transferring to become more electrical. these stations will install the required kit to charge the electrical cars.
Who will take these actions?
All the actions will be implemented and managed by Blink Management Team (BMT). As the team members will be working closely with all the businesses that require delivery.
Also, as we already do have back-up drivers. this vehicle will be touring around the capital city of Jordan with its branding by showing the importance of changing to electric cars, as the car will already be on a delivery mission to deliver goods from businesses to their customers.
The car will be monitored remotely by Blink App. to evaluate and get feedback from individuals that will approach the vehicle asking about the e-delivery concept. as the driver will explain the difference between the normal transportation method that is being used versus the electric delivery.
Where will these actions be taken?
All the listed actions will be taken inside the capital city of Jordan, Amman. with a future goal of multiple places around the region. as all the actions will be managed at Blink HQ in Amman.
In addition, specify the country or countries where these actions will be taken.
No country selected
No country selected
No country selected
No country selected
What impact will these actions have on greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
For the Business as usual scenario in Jordan/ West Amman, there is around 3428 Restaurants, assuming that 9% of these are using the delivery service i.e around 308 restaurants,
- Assume that these restaurants have 10 trips of delivery per day, i.e 3080 trips, and the average distance traveled by each delivery car is 15 km, so ( 3080 * 15km )= 46,200 km
- In order to calculate the CO2 emissions generated we used an emissions calculator :(https://co2.myclimate.org/en/car_calculators/new)
- Using Petrol as the fuel type & assuming that the average car used for delivery in Jordan consumes about (9 Liters / 100Km ) it was found that the amount of CO2 emissions generated per day by the delivery service is equal to 17.4 Ton Co2 /day,
- At Blink we aim to get all the 308 restaurants as our customers, and assuming that 10 % of our drivers uses electrical vehicles ( As shifting to electrical cars will be gradual according to the available budget ) so we expect to reduce the CO2 emissions calculated above by 10 % i.e ( 17.4 * 0.1) = 1.74 Ton CO2 Emissions / day
What are other key benefits?
The Jordanian government already signed the climate change agreement which took its place in (Paris). further more, the national impact in Jordan had released in 2017 an agreement that matches our vision to help the country in its climate stability. as one of the objectives for mitigation that is taken in Jordan is:
• Develop and adopt in the transport sector the strategies promoting energy efficiency and low carbon transportation modes, and facilitate transfer of low carbon transport technologies;
• Promote technology R&D and technology transfer of mitigation in Jordan.
• To develop and adopt in the transport sector, a key sector for greenhouse gas mitigation, strategies promoting energy efficiency, low carbon transport technologies, and low carbon transportation modes;
The listed mitigations above participate directly with our future goal to help the city with its climate goals. as it impacts on the businesses directly by changing their mind-set and to motivate them to apply the electrical transportation on ground. as these goals will have a high impact on a city level as well as on the individuals.
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
We have managed at Blink to cover the cost of challenges with the mobile platform. however, the projected cost for this activity would be around 10,000$ for the vehicle cost and around 3500$ for covering the expenses at the beginning. any other direct or indirect cost will be covered on a cost share methodology that can be shared at anytime.
The impact that the proposed project will have a different phases as bellow:
1) 1-3 years, Blink will manage to increase the number of electric vehicles to match the market needs.
2) 3-10 years, Blink will manage to keep the awareness of using green electric cars as it will impact directly on the community. as it is believed that individuals will start understanding the importance of electric cars and how it will help the climate vision that the Jordanian government is promoting for.
3) 10-100 years, The company will be using future electric cars with less smaller sizes as a tool to decrease the traffic jams.
About the author(s)
* Bader M Al-Hosban, MBA Project Management, CEO & Founder Blink Ultimate Delivery. Jordan- Amman.
* Eng. Mohammad Attieh, over 4 years of experience in implementing different project sizes in construction and IT-Sector. Jordan- Amman.
* Rakan Zyoud, MSc International Business, Marketing Manager.Jordan- Amman.
Jordan's third National Communication on Climate Change ( 2014)
The National Climate Change Policy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan 2013-2020