Policy implication to reduce GHG emission and it has quick response to reduce emission of GHG without involving cost.
This proposal is focusing on middle income group countries where some basic issue of transportation are need to be addressed on policy level to reduce GHG emission and it would have significant impact on climate.
Proposal is emphasizing on quick wins first which can be implemented through policy implication at government level. As case study of Karachi (Pakistan) It is observed 3.6 million vehicle run on road on daily basis and due to bad position of traffic approx. 144 million minutes are being wasted cause 1.44 million liter petrol are wasting contributing 3.326 million CO2 in climate on daily basis which is a massive contribution in GHG emissions and can be reduce effectively.
Is this proposal for a practice or a project?
What actions do you propose?
Center of gravity of this thought process is to address energy waste during transportation and it is normally observed that middle income group countries are wasting energy due to worst traffic position which are being faced on daily basis and in parallel they are massively contributing in emission of GHG.
Quick wins through policy implication
- Illegal extension of business on road in shape small vendors are spread over the city and they are running their business on road due to this, capacity of road shrink cause to disturb traffic flow badly, Government need to take rapid action to eliminate this illegal extension small vendors activity on road and designate place to run their business rather than on public road
- Unstructured traffic system are common in Karachi, specially road lane are not being followed, public transport are one of the reason to increase traffic because of making their standing place at any point, heavy traffic timings are not being followed properly due to this traffic flow slow down, Government should ensure compliance traffic rules to eliminate this issue.
- Unauthorized parking is major contributor of GHG because road side parking is very common, people normally parked their vehicles on road which has significant impact on traffic flow because size of road shrink to worst the traffic flow, government should be strict to compliance traffic rules of parking and eliminate parking from main roads effectively to smooth flow of traffic
Above stated issues can be addressed at government level as low hanging fruit and can be achieved through policy implication and this is cost effective measures because traffic system, police and governance body already exist but need to ensure compliance of rules strictly and need to avoid such issues which have significant impact on climate.
centralize transport system to be established and this can be enforced by government on government and private institution to maintain centralize transport rather than individual to maintain their own, it has two key benefits.
- Traffic flow will reduce and it will create positive impact on climate as well
- Team building activity will be more effective because people spend their time collectively and know each other during travelling time, discuss ideas and reduce communication gap
Who will take these actions?
Government is key player for this action through strict compliance of rules and laws of traffic.
Where will these actions be taken?
This action should be taken in big cities where we are facing heavy traffic load and transportation issues.
In addition, specify the country or countries where these actions will be taken.
What impact will these actions have on greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
It is observed that in Karachi 3.6 million vehicle run on road daily basis to meet their official and non-official need and they are wasting massive amount of time on road due to traffic position so as a case study on average 20 minutes distance is taking 60 minutes so on the basis of time following calculation derived.
Delta of time 60-20 = 40 minutes
Approx traffic on road 3.6 million
So approx. time waste is 144 million minutes a day and consumer fuel 0.01 liter / minute so 1.44 million liter fuel are wasting on daily basis which are contributing 3.326 million KG CO2 in climate which is a massive amount that can be prevent or reduce through good traffic governance system.
What are other key benefits?
In term of economic loss citizen of Karachi is paying 100 million PKR on daily basis as a waste of fuel at the rate of 69.5 PKR/Liter, this actually a cost which economy bearing indirectly and it has no productive outcome
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
It can be done through without involving cost.
About the author(s)
I am Muhammad Asif Kamal, MS in Economics from IBA Karachi, I live in Karachi Pakistan.