Via Green Program (VGP)- Atmospheric Pollutants Management for Supply Chain by Via Green Institute
VGP is an online platform of atphosferic pollutants management from cargo and passenger transportation sector, integrating all supply chain.
VGP is an innovative and voluntary program that offers a set of initiatives for the complete management of emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants from the transport operations of member organizations. The program aims to accelerate and encourage companies to adopt best operating practices, and contributing to a more balanced climate and a pollution-free atmosphere.
VGP integrates the whole supply chain, connecting the shippers, transporters and intermediaries, in this way, when an organization measures the emissions from one carried out to another, it can consult within the VGP platform, the emissions from this contracted service, Adds them in its sustainability reports and GHG inventories, considering from the carbon footprint regarding the logistics of its inputs and its products, to the final consumer. Also, it provide a great online platform to share good practice and innovative technology to reduce their GHG emission, it make easy this conversation between the shippers and transporters.
Thus, VGP is a solution to make easy the communication between the companies with their whole supply chain, becoming the commitment among them more effective to face the climate change and others environment impacts.
Is this proposal for a practice or a project?
What actions do you propose?
VGP promotes the management of air pollutants in the transportation sector, including the four modes (rail, road, water and air), integrating the supply chain through:
- MONITORING: Measurement of GHG emission, integrating the emission from supply chain too
- MITIGATION: Solutions to reduce the GHG emission
- OFFSET: Neutralization of GHG by supporting projects that have reduced or avoided GHG emission
- RESILIENCE: Subsidies for climate change adaptation plans
Before setting emission reduction targets, it must know the magnitude of the impact caused by identifying and monitoring the atmospheric polluting sources. VGP helps this monitoring through of information input into platform such as: distance travelled, number of passenger, cargo weight, fuel used, vehicle used, technology used among others. VGP follows GLEC methodology, which is the most coherent and accurate methodology for transportation sector, ISO 14064-1 and GHG Protocol. In addition, it considers all specificities of transport and logistic sector such as country and regions where the operation occurred and the biofuel percentage in fuel used.
VGP platform offers for its customers and users some environmental good practices that can help them to reduce or mitigate their GHG emission. Beyond it, VGP allows that the users share their ideas and questions about it, fostering for an easier access to good practices and initiatives among all supply chain, thereby, making easy the communication among them.
Offset GHG emission sometimes looks like a complicated issue, because some ship-owner, intermediary company or transporter do not want to assume all responsibility about that GHG emission from transport activity, thus, VGP makes possible that which player in the transportation sector can offset your emission or offers it for your customer. The offset occurs through ECOEMISSION concept, that supports environmental project around the world that avoided or reduced their GHG emission and generated one carbon credit, and which ton of CO2 equivalent neutralized, it will be platted one tree for recovering degraded areas and conserving the local biodiversity. After the offsetting their emission, the person or company that did it, it will receive a certificate that ensure their GHG offset such as the project that was supported, the amount of GHG offset and details about the transport activity.
VGP platform keeps their users updated about resilience initiatives and news about climate change and their effects to transportation and logistics sector by sharing these into platform. Also, it make possible interaction among all supply chain.
Who will take these actions?
VGP was developed to serve all players in the logistics and transportation sector, such as carriers, shipowners, railway companies, airlines, NVOCC, cargo agents, logistics companies, passenger transport companies, among others. The program also serves the shippers, who contract the transport services directly and indirectly.
Where will these actions be taken?
The program can be taken for any public or private company around the world, due to VGP is an online platform, and it adopts database recognize internationally.
In addition, specify the country or countries where these actions will be taken.
What impact will these actions have on greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
- Transparency about GHG emissions and management their environment impacts;
- GHG emission report for the 4 modes by route or period, it making easy the understanding their environmental responsibility;
- Sharing innovative technology and solution to face the climate change on the transportation sector;
- Interact with other members and gain access to good environment practice;
- Subsidy to prepare a corporate inventory of GHG emissions;
- Contribute to the fight against global warming through the promotion of good practices; and
- Option to offset their GHG emission, contributing to an atmosphere free of pollutants.
What are other key benefits?
- Online and customized platform for the transport sector
- Easy presentation of the emission report, facilitating the creation of a corporate strategy to reduce GHG emissions
- Integration with the entire value chain
- Environmental liability report on its GHG emissions, which is a potential contribution to investors
- A strong audit basis for your offsetting plans
- Issue report based on the GHG Protocol model, making integration easy for corporate inventory development
- Transparency about facing to climate change
- Opportunity for new business and attraction of investments
- Changing environmental behavior in the corporate sector
- Report derived from internationally recognized standards, may be disclosed on website and advertisements
- Improve the transport and logistic image to stakeholders
- Social and environmental responsibility
- Anticipating future regulatory milestones
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
VGP User License
Annual company turn-over Monthly fee* Annual fee*
<16 millions USD $ 200,00 USD $ 2.400,00 USD
16-90 millions USD $ 400,00 USD $ 4.800,00 USD
> 90 millions USD $ 800,00 USD $ 9.600,00 USD
The monthly fee guarantees a standard level of server performance, updates about transport and logistics sector, and administration services.
*The GHG offsetting (ECOEMISISON) is not include in the fee, the offsetting of 1 (one) ton of CO2 equivalent would be $15,00 USD.
About the author(s)
Via Green Institute is a non-governmental organization specializing in sustainable logistics that seeks to foster a culture of environmental impact management that occurs in freight and passenger transport operations. The institute directs its activities providing solutions that add value to its clients and partners, through scientific research, consulting and development of customized tools.
Via Green Program - VGP. Access: http://www.viagreen.org.br/eng/produtos/vgp
ECOEMISSION . Access: http://www.viagreen.org.br/eng/produtos/eco-emission