U.V LED light strip sticker - HVAC energy saver by SAADITHYA
Using U.V LED light strip sticker to ensure clean HVAC system which saves energy, U.V disinfection removes spores, fungus growth.
My idea is a simple product that can be fitted or stuck on existing HVAC systems to prevent spores, bacteria, mold and fungus growth in HVAC systems especially supply duct over air conditioner’s evaporator coil. This will ensure clean passage of air and hence improve efficiency & ensure clean air for breathing.When enough contaminants build up on your cooling coils and in your duct work, drain pans and air filters, the buildup begins to interfere with the airflow in your HVAC system. Decreased airflow causes your system to work harder to keep up; this increased demand reduces the efficiency of your system and reduces its life expectancy.
Using UV LED light sticker to target the growth of contaminants improves the airflow and heat exchange in your system.Another option is to install an ultraviolet light in the return air duct downstream of the filter.
Is this proposal for a practice or a project?
What actions do you propose?
How can U.V Light be applied to improving indoor air quality for residential HVAC systems, improve efficiency of HVAC units, saving energy, money and cutting down greenhouse gas emissions?
Image description:- Mold and gunk build-up over 10 years in old air handler insulation and coil.
The technology is very simple, U.V Light has high disinfection properties that prevents the growth of molds, spores, fungus & bacteria which other wise can easily grow in moist environment.
Th idea is to install or stick snappy U.V LED light stickers in air handler, which remains turned on 24/7. All mold in line-of-sight of the UV bulb will be killed, keeping the coil mold-free.
Image description:- U.V LED installed in Air handler.
Effectiveness of U.V Light two case studies.
- In 2012, Researchers at Duke University Medical Center used ultraviolet radiation (UV-C) to destroy drug-resistant bacteria in 50 hospital rooms, they managed to destroy 97% of bacteria.
- Effectiveness of Germicidal UV Radiation for Reducing Fungal Contamination within Air-Handling Units.
Who will take these actions?
- We will develop the product here U.V LED HVAC sticker.
- We will team up with local HVAC manufactures and convince them to use our product in their product to run a pilot & measure the results in terms of energy savings.
- We will pitch in these results to big HVAC manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Dyson and showcase how U.V LED HVAC sticker incorporated in their devices can improve the energy efficiency of their devices.
- For the product development & lab tests we will need some help from MIT students & staff.
Where will these actions be taken?
These actions will be taken in Boston, U.S.A, Kuwait & Bangalore, India & gulf countries where HVAC units are extensively used.
We intend to do a pilot on 100 HVAC units and measure the results.
In addition, specify the country or countries where these actions will be taken.
United Arab Emirates
What impact will these actions have on greenhouse gas emissions and/or adapting to climate change?
- By keeping the HVAC units clean and away from spore & fungal growth this will increase the energy efficiency of the devices which will bring energy savings.
- These energy savings will eventually lead to cut down of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can lower your air conditioner's energy consumption by 5% to 15%.
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy, 25 to 40 percent of the energy used for heating or cooling is wasted. Contaminants in the heating and cooling system cause it to work harder and shorten the life of your system. Although filters are used, the heating and cooling system still gets dirty through normal use.
What are other key benefits?
Helps Prevent Sickness.
Improves your Indoor Air Quality
Keeps Your HVAC System Running Efficiently Saves energy & money.
Control mold and bacteria.
Reduce colds and flus – germs are not re-circulated by HVAC system
Reduce smells / odors
Are more effective in humid climates than dry climates
Reduces clogging in condensate drain lines by preventing algae growth.
Maintain a cleaner coil, improving cooling efficiency and reducing electricity costs.
What are the proposal’s projected costs?
- Research & development to build prototype - $1500
- Pilot on 100 HVAC units - $1000
- Product hardware & manufacturing costs - $500
Total - $3000
- A working model - 3 Months.
- Pilot implementation & measuring results - 6 Months
- Product development - 6 months
- Manufacturing & time to market - 12 months
About the author(s)
I am a passionate Innovator, inventor and the winner of 35 grand innovation challenges till date, spanning across various industries solving a variety of problems, I use cross pollination of technology across a industries to solve simple & complex problems. Since climate change is a complex problem that is faced by humanity, I am trying to make novel innovations in this sector through my various innovation projects & inventions.
I am a graduate in Mechanical engineering & I have acquired various professional skills and certifications as part of my innovation projects in multiple fields of Engineering.I am also the founder of Givemechallenge.com an online platform which is an innovation portal for making innovation opportunities accessible to all.