A car that can detect a taffic signal and turn engine on/off at a junction to save gas and reduce GHG emissions.
My concept proposes for a car that can detect traffic signals using front dash cams, the traffic signal algorithm checks for circular red or green lights placed overhead.It also compares the data with navigation map to check if the location indeed has a traffic signal and it switches off the engine when it detects the red signal for more than 5 seconds and shifts the gear to neutral and hence saves fuel at each junction. Now multiply this savings in gas with all cars in the world and all the traffic junctions in the world and we get an astronomical number in terms of reduction in GHG.
When the traffic signal turns green the engine switches on and the car is ready to go. This kind of technology is already present and used in self driving cars but self driving cars are expensive so my idea is to borrow the traffic signal detection from cars like self driving cars ad use it in cars driven by humans and supplement human intelligence artificial intelligence which will help user to save gas by turning off engine at junction.
There is also a bonus, it will improve traffic safety also, no one can ever jump a red signal.
What actions do you propose?
- To develop a car that can detect traffic signals using front dash cams, the traffic signal algorithm checks for circular red or green lights placed overhead.It also compares the data with navigation map to check if the location indeed has a traffic signal and it switches off the engine when it detects the red signal for more than 10 seconds and shifts the gear to neutral and hence saves fuel at each junction.
- Implement the system in cars with help fro automobile manufacturers and goverment bodies.
Who will take these actions?
Automobile makers are the ideal and crucial players who can implement this concept since they are the ones making the cars and government can also provide the necessary encouragement and standardisng the signals and its location. Companies like Google can help out map the location each signal.
Where will these actions be taken?
This technology can be deployed anywhere in the world which use a traffic signal system and has a mapped out traffic signal system.
How much will emissions be reduced or sequestered vs. business as usual levels?
It has potential to reduce millions of tons of GHG emissions as the number of cars on roads itself is around 1 billion.
What are other key benefits?
- It helps to cut down GHG emissions from automobile exhausts.
- It improves traffic safety and prevent road accidents as no one can jump a red signal.
- It improves mileage of the vehicle.
- It brings down pollution levels.
What are the proposal’s costs?
- Research and development of traffic detection algorithm and combining it with navigation confirmation and cost around $20000.
- The cost per car when mass produced will around $100 assuming the car has dashboard camera and automatic transmission and ignition.
- The research and technology can be researched and developed in 1 years.
- It can be deployed on road within 2 years after testing.