'The Fan Idea' uses wind energy to both insulate buildings and generate electricity into standby reserves, for minute tasks.
‘The Fan Idea’ is a concept created by a combination of a few common concepts. It is aimed at solving two major problems namely; the problem of building insulation, and the problem of alternative power sources.
Survey shows that one of the most common energy depleting units in this region of the world, are air-conditions. This is due to the harsh climate and low humidity levels, caused by the intense sun-rays in these regions. House-holds; being fully aware of the dangers posed to both our ecosystem, as well as to the energy sector, have been powerless, as the climate is a factor beyond human influence and control. This has also been the experience of the firms and industries.
Another survey showed that in these times of energy insufficiency, in countries like Ghana, there is close to no alternative power source from renewable energy, which does not deplete the ozone, but rather an excess of generators which are harmful to the environment and ozone.
We therefore propose that our idea, which aims at solving both problems detected in the surveys conducted, is implemented.
What actions do you propose?
- Referring to the survey conducted concerning the use of air-conditions as cooling agents for most housing units, and industries, actions taken should be aimed at educating individuals and firms about the avoidance of such practices, through provision and recommendation of alternatives.
- Another action to be taken would be the implementation of building insulation alternative ideas, such as 'The Fan Idea', to provide a ready alternative for such buildings to be insulated, with standby electricity as an incentive which makes it easier for the user to forgo the thrill of air-conditions.
- The imposition of policies by the Government, to determine building specifics and ensure that 'The Fan Idea', and/or any other building adjustment, which allows the building to be better insulated are included in the building plan, to reduce the need for air-conditions.
Who will take these actions?
1. The Media, which has one of the most impact on the general public, would be involved in the educating process, to make sure the use of air-conditions is discouraged as much as possible.
2. The Government; to impose the policies required to keep building specifications in check, and promote green building.
3. Team W.I, to provide the alternative power source/ building insulator; 'The Fan Idea'.
Where will these actions be taken?
These actions would be taken in those regions in Africa faced with these challenges stated in the survey; Regions where the use of air-conditions has become a necessity.
Regions where households lack "green" alternative power sources.
A few typical examples of such regions are Ghana and Nigeria.
How much will emissions be reduced or sequestered vs. business as usual levels?
The implementation of said proposals will lead to a drastic reduce of emissions, as it will result in a reduced use of air-conditions, and generators which exude fumes that are harmful to the environment.
The cost saved on the generator, its fuelling, and the cost saved on air-conditions will, contrary to beliefs, reduce cost of production which could increase productivity. Also, power saved by the electricity supplying agents implies a more consistent supply to the general mass, which will in turn boost national or state productivity.
What are other key benefits?
- Reduced environmental pollution.
- Reduced import rates, as air-conditions purchased are imported in this region of the world
- Reduced fuel scarcity. This is becoming quite common in this part of Africa, as people aim to fill the tanks of their generators, as alternative power.
- There would be a reduced impact on global warming, and ozone depletion.
What are the proposal’s costs?
The cost at this point cannot be projected per single unit, as it will vary per building structure.
The negative side effect, which would be reflected in the cost of the per unit, will be the fact that the building would have to be altered, in small regions comparative to its size,and this might be a bit inconvenient in the short run.
- The first 1 or 2 years maximum would be used to build a solid company of competent individuals, both technicians and architects as well as partnering with media strongholds, to educate. During this same period, certain minor projects would have been undergone, both to build experience as well as to begin the build of a brand; because only a company with a name can promulgate its ideas to impact society.
- The remaining years ahead would be to expand production to other alternative power sources and projects which are green effective, in order to help curb global warming.