Growing plants on land to absorb carbon will lead to contention of land space and fresh water. This can be negated by growing in oceans.
seaweed self propagating, exponential growth
sink into deep ocean trenches
size of oceans can absorb vast quantities of carbon dioxide
seaweed economic value expected to be low
Category of the action
What actions do you propose?
There are a few steps to study the feasibility of this idea and then to implement if feasible:
1. Study the impact of carbon absorption by vast quantity of seaweed (if ever possible) to carbon dioxide in atmosphere
2. Study the impact of vast quantity of seaweed in oceans (if ever possible) to human economic activities.
3. Study the reason why seaweed has not overgrown in oceans naturally, find solution to overcome this
4. Identify species of seaweed that can grow quickly and cheaply in open oceans, that will not grow out of control and that may optionally provide economic value.
5. Identify appropriate sea(s) / ocean(s) regions to seed
5. Design methods to seed the seaweed in ocean, growth control and harvesting
6. Monitor results, seaweed locations and impact to Global Warming
Who will take these actions?
Roles and responsibilities:
Academia: Experts in oceanology, marine life can provide answers to feasibility of proposal, identify appropriate seaweed species, select areas to seed and methods of seeding/control/harvesting
Businesses: Implement tools/infrastructure to seed and harvest, if seaweed has economic value
Government: Contribute monies to seed and control seaweed. Formulate policies to regulate harvesting if seaweed has economic value