Gamification of houses and communities to bet on reducing energy use with the reward of 25 times the bet and star house award from BEE.
The proposal aims to reduce energy usage to promote energy efficiency among households, institutions and companies through gamification. Each household will form a group and enter into a bet to reduce energy consumption by 10 or 25% from their current monthly levels. We will verify the current levels through your past bills. Whichever household achieves its target will be rewarded. The reward will be in many forms like cash, coupons, free services, extended warranties,etc. It certainly will be worth 30 times the cost of entering the bet. In addition to this, those who won would be acknowledged. If the winners continue to do this over a period of 1 year, their house would be awarded with an Most Energy efficient households which is a pride for everyone and jealously for those who lost. The same goes with institutions, colleges, companies. All the contenders will be supported by a network of energy auditors and efficiency managers. The sole objective being to reduce energy consumption. Tools to ensure and achieve efficiency will be provided and guidelines of the bet too.
Category of the action
Building efficiency: Physical Action
What actions do you propose?
1) Effective promotion
2) Strong focus on energy efficiency
3) Initiating Energy efficiency awards in association with Bureau of Energy Efficiency
4) Behavioral norms needs to be evolved for the adaptation.
5) Each household needs to become a partner.
6) Tools to achieve energy efficiency and support in buying equipments.
7) External support by our network of advisors in devising measures to reduce energy usage.
Who will take these actions?
- Energy efficiency Bureau
- Contenders which include individuals, institutions, business
- Developers and marketer
- Energy efficiency advisers
Where will these actions be taken?
Initially the focus would be on India. After successfully testing and implementing here, the same will be replicated in other nations
How much will emissions be reduced or sequestered vs. business as usual levels?
The objective is to reduce 10 to 25% of energy consumed by the contenders.
What are other key benefits?
- Energy usage is reduced/efficiency is achieved.
- Carbon emissions are reduced.
- Social camaraderie would be increased
What are the proposal’s costs?
Economic costs: $15000 for development
PR and marketing costs: $10000
The short-term is a very significant milestone for this project since the capability and adaptability will be ascertained in this phase only. People are ready for technology acceptance in larger cities of India and in next 15 years some of the other cities will contribute too. Based upon the success in the larger cities our goal is to achieve the same benefits in overseas markets. The next 10 years is extremely crucial for adaptability of this concept.
- Gamification and its benefits
- Gamification of business.