Campaign awareness with agricultural tips
Radio is still a powerful medium to reach people, they can reach the people at affordable price. They exists in every nook and corner at affordable price.
A simple radio program giving the tips, suggestions on agriculture would help,we can have an interactive sessions. With advancement in technology we can predict the seasons through weather applications and some training can be given to the students so they can interact with various teams and can create a rapport with the local farmers and technical team.
Issues faced in pamir
There are historical data, on the types of the crops based on its characters like.
- Min Temp
- Max Temp
- Soil Type
- Amount of Water required
- Types of Insects that affects the crop etc.
If we can provide a look up information between the weather application and the historical data through local language, radio we can address the issue. Some apps http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/06/smart-phone-apps-for-university.html that can help
There are some applications that can list the radio stations, http://radio-locator.com/ then we can contact them through their site and look if the are interested to work with the team.
BBC is present in both Afg and Kyg so we can use them.
Please ref below list:
We can have an interview with the expert(Team), let the radio programmer ask the questions and get the answers, if we can have some agricultural students as the radio programmer it would be better as they know the subject and local issues.
Even if that doesn't work at least we can collect the questions from localities/ from students in the region(Social ser) and address it at the end of the program.
Once a week we should have a farmer as a special guest and let them be interviewed by the programmer or local students. It should cover their experience, how they won the problems, and how the program can be improved, and how it has improved their life. This is just to keep them motivated and to show our concern for agriculture. The team develops a rapport with farmer.
Radio Program Content:
Session - 1
Description of Valley,
- Type of agriculture,
- Calendar followed,
- And the Issues faced in the recent time.
- Season – Organ Mapping Coverage (Session – 1,2,3,4 ): how the days, and the organs are mapped, details such as effect of sun light in the environment, during a particular season and how this sun light / other celestial bodies effect on the organs and in turn how this change affects the environment and the other life forms in the environment. It is a chain reaction, say if the grasses retain more dew, it affects the cattle which consumes it (Yield may reduce), and in turn the humans who consumes other crops and by product of the cattle’s etc and may be prone to some issues.
The Program should be covered n months (based on season time period at max it should be 3 months if season is prolonged. If it is short it should be 1 month, and omit the optional session in the programs), ahead of the season, and there should be a repetition of the program on the key concept at the start of the next session. For e.g. in winter season, the water bodies will be frozen, so the water bodies will be less, and even in winter the temperature will vary from valley to valley, so is the amount of usable water bodies. Now because of the climate change, the cycle behaves differently. The scientific data to be collected based on parameters:
Farmers Interview: (Session 1,2.3,4,5) Where farmers share their experience, the changes they have seen or heard from their ancestors and how they found a solution for the problem etc using experiences.
Category of the action
Who will take these actions?
- Sms Tips in local lang :The Local government should launch the radio program and if the people uses mobiles they can send sms tips as well.
- Poster Promotion :The information can be conveyed as a posters through public transport as well.
- World bank collaboration :An collaboration can be made with World Bank Climate Data http://climate4development.worldbank.org/ Where a section which fetches the look up data based on weather / temperature forecast of the given region. This data can be used to give tips through the radio/ to the particular region through the interactive radio sessions. One such existing application http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Radio Jockey training :This is related to India http://wdfindia.org/jockey.htm this organization trains the students as radio jockey, if we can get some students interested in Pamir district, we can use them as radio programmer in these areas. Probably these org may help in training the Pamir localities or at least they can guide the team if such org exists in the nearby Pamir.
Students : helps in collecting the samples, and will be interacting with the technical team,http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/06/pamir-student-interaction-with.html
Central Asia University: should provide some educational credit for the tasks, these students to keep them motivated. they should provide them with hardware, internet, mobile devices and research laboratory if required for their sample analysis.
Pamir calendar research team: will be working with radio jockey on program schedule and on the program details , will collaborate with the students, technical expertise team and will nominate the expert farmers for each region.
Climate-Co-Lab :they can help in arranging online sessions .
Priority Det http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/06/conclusion.html
What are other key benefits?
- The income gets increased and number of people will adapt their occupation according to the climate.
- Try to use students where ever possible for few reasons, they gain experience as radio programmer, learn about climate change and can anticipate the changes and they can teach within their community, and secondly they have technology to spread message faster than other generations.
- Probably a valuable certificate would motivate them. A tie up with the local collages would help. We can get students who can work part time as radio jockey.
- The importance of agriculture to the students so let them take it, forward to the next generation.
- It is not mandatory that the farmer has to be literate to understand the conversation, he can ask his questions to the programmer in the local language.
- We can have few farmers as host in the program to spread the thoughts to their community.
- The Students knows how to handle their people as they are locals, so let them frame the program with team guidance.
What are the proposal’s costs?
- This should be less as we are reusing the mobile service and existing radio channels.
- We are using students, probably if we can have a tie up with the universities and give them social service credit and volunteer certificate, we can get more number of talented radio programmers, and we are educating the next generation about the climate impact and importance of agriculture which is the most important thing.
- The training sessions to be given to the students from the University / climate co lab scientists
- Device costs, and apps cost if we are using any agriculture aps
- Radio jockey's stipend
- Traveling expenses for the Advanced Technology Team at times
- Local Traveling expenses for the lecturers and students
- Optional Apps customization cost if required specific to pamir
- Laboratory cost for various analysis of specimen by Advanced technology team and University's technology team.
- Postal charges for sending the samples and tools used to collect the samples.
- Stipend/ Social Credit points to students
- Lot of ideas has been listed out for the technology team this includes Soil analysis. Earth worm harvesting, Earthworm / Fauna Flora Seismic prediction, Alternate thermal insulator. Algae cattle feed stock, GMO research on earth worm,grass, seedlings and Re engineering of the valley. All these points has been rated based on the priority, so the fellow team needs to revisit it based on the Pamir's culture and success rate of these ideas http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/06/conclusion.html
There are some useful links in this post on the researcher using the earthworm for seismic prediction, so please go through for e.g. Geologist Jim Berkland claims to have a formula that uses animal behavior to accurately forecast earthquakes. Such formula can help in reiterating calendar a discussion with him and Pamir research team helps.
The initial time will be spent in forming the groups and tie up with the local university and in establishing a good rapport with the team members.
Radio Program Content: (1 to 2 Month Program Repetitive)
Introduction: Session - 1
The Radio Program should give a brief description, of the
- Type of agriculture followed in this valley,
- Calendar followed,
- And the Issues faced in the recent time.
Followed by a detailed Program on following:
- Season – Organ Mapping Coverage (Session 1,2,3,4)
- Research Team, Farmers Answer (Session 2,3,4,5)
- Students Project Coverage (Session 6):
detailed information : http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/01/radio-program-content.html
We need to collect the samples and train the students with some theoretical classes. So the students gain technical as well as calendar knowledge (from expert farmers)
We can use the https://www.climatecolab.org/web/guest/plans/-/plans/contestId/1301102/phaseId/1306618/planId/1313804 as a reference to the resource to be used. apart from this we can obtain climatic data and expert judgment data and fine tune the analysis.
The expert judgment data will contain the information from the community, researchers working with them.
Along with the above information we can use the predicted/forecast climate information to provide information to the farmers.
So we can build a calendar with this feedback as a delta correction in terms of days, so the farmers will understand it better.
We can classify programs
- Optional and
This is based on the length of the program and budget.
Initially the program should be short and crisp, slowly we need to increase the length.
Before launching this to the people, we need to promote the program
- By using the government
- or some advertisements through Radio
- and through students.
- More number of farmers attends the program .
- More number of students participate in the concept.
We need to take the feedback at intervals. To ensure that farmers are benefiting from such programs with some questionnaire.
From Farmers / Pastoral
- What needs to be improved?
- How He/She has benefited?
- Do they want to increase the program timing?
- Do they need access to any other resource materials?
- How can they maintain ease communication with the team?
- Were they comfortable with students, radio programmer, team?
- Were the solutions useful?
- Any tips for negative feedback?
- How well farmers interacted?
- Were they comfortable with farmers?
- Was the time given enough to complete the interview?
- Any help required from the Technical -Team in capturing interview?
- How well the team interacts with them? are they comfortable?
- Any suggestion to improve the program?
Team Involved : Has been shown in the mind map itself. Going forward we can add or modify the team. We can keep the feedback capturing team within Interview Team. As they will be interacting with the farmers quite frequently.
We can have an optional program, Students View, where we can ask students to come up with some projects, given by the research team. The project need not be a detailed one, even some ideas and solutions can help. So we are having a two way communication, so it increases the participation of the community. So people pay more attention to the program and this a separate group with culture knowledge and they can come up with unusual ideas which others may not think!
Logical flow between the teams and their roles : All the actors,role are self explanatory, we need an additional team ADV ref: http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/06/advanced-technology-team.html
Team Structure http://vramanu.blogspot.in/2015/06/team-composition.html